On my way home from Arkansas, after Christmas, was when the planning began. With the help of the internet, I immediately recruited a few helpers - Abbie being the key piece. At the same time, I contacted Mom2's BFF from high school, Chris, about coming from California. I might add that the excitement that overwhelmed me on that day carried me through the next four months. Besides planning a party in another state (a surprise party at that), we were moving, I have in 3 classes, we have children and jobs and and and. . . God's grace is the only way (looking back) that we pulled this off. BUT anyhow. . . .
For the next two months, I worked with the amazing people at our home church in Benton (Mom2's church) to secure a venue and attempt to get the word out, quietly. You have to understand that Mom2 is a server in all meanings of the word. She is always doing for others and in the process, she's really in tune to the church calendar. So - that's where facebook came in. After a couple days of testing (thank you, Amy Ann & Nina for your help), the private group was created and about 100 people added.
Inviting Chris and being excited about the surprise element of having her here (they hadn't seen each other in 5 years - since Mom2 went to California to surprise CHRIS on her 45th birthday) - that was the easy part. Actually getting her here was not-so-much. To say it was going to take a miracle to get her here (she's not only a mom, but her daughter's teacher - and airline tickets are expensive) - that's the ultimate understatement. But - after prayer, looking at every possible option for a cheaper flight, more prayers and a tad bit more prayer, God came through and we now had airline tickets. Let Laura's ridiculous amount of excitement begin! By this time, we were pretty sure everyone in the church knew along with family & friends - had about 95% of the plans finalized and now just had to wait. And waiting is NOT my strongest suit. . . I think I might've caused Amy Ann to wish I'd just go to Arkansas already! OH - almost forgot. . . . Amy Ann is the one who created the beautiful email invitation that was later sent out. She did a FABULOUS job!!!
Then - the day before. . . . the reality that Chris was really about to board a plane sank in. I was overwhelmed to tears and was essentially worthless in all other areas of my life. The evidence that God had been in the midst of the plans all along was even more visible (I remind you that her ENTIRE church family knew and had known for many months). Abbie & I had planned our first family event together and while I can't speak for her, I will say that it was FABULOUS. On the way to Arkansas the next day, I couldn't help but cry - tears of happiness and thankfulness that not only did I have a MIL that I loved - who loves me. . . but that both of her boys and their wives and their mom get along so well - there aren't words to describe how blessed we all are.
Back to the party. . . . Chris had flown in very late Thursday night, just before the tornadoes came through that fatally effected Hot Springs Village and Scott. This meant that the phone call I received from Chris Friday morning (while I was still in Tulsa) was. . . ."I have no power in my hotel and I have no windows - only my phone as light". It took a couple phone calls, but in the end, Abbie came to her rescue and while plans had been altered, all were safe and sound and the day went on. My mom was so helpful in the plotting and lies (teeheehee). She's such a good sport and AMAZING at keeping me calm while I semi-panic about the cakes not being finished in time. Thank you, mom, for your support and the bazillion emails while I went insane during the last week attempting to get everything and everyone (and the story, aka, ball-faced lies) settled and finished.
Now - enough of this sappy stuff.
At 6:30, a limo arrived to pickup Mom2, Matt & C (P was with us girls - initiating plans and plots). The story was that they had to pick me up from the church because I had been finishing a gift with the help of Terri (mom2's other BFF).
I have very few photos to share because I was not the photographer that night (thank you SO much, Christine Apple - you make my world go 'round), but try to imagine. . . .
They come into the darkened halls of the church and round the corner to the hospitality room where a host of family & friends are waiting to yell "surprise" and honor someone who means so much to so many.
That surprise was awesome and very much worth the time and effort. I wish everyone in the world could've been there - it was amazing!!!
She then spent a few minutes hugging and looking around (completely missing Chris for the time being - she was very overwhelmed). Then - she hugged her dad and he motioned that she should look at the other side of the room. Again - two full sweeps and then. . . . . as Abbie & I cry. . . . she notices Chris and it was perfect and wonderful and movie-like and perfect and wonderful. Just writing about it makes my heart flutter and my eyes tear - it was fabulous!!!!
And now, as if accepting an Oscar, Abbie & I have a ton of people to thank - and I will do my very best to not leave anyone out.
Centerpoint Church (especially Vicki, Terri and Christy) - thank you SOOO much for loving our mom so much and respecting her to the degree that you could go almost 3 months without spilling the beans. You all amaze me - I adore each and every one of you and am so thankful for all of you.
Our husbands - while this WAS for YOUR mom. . . .your patience and support for us - in all aspects of our lives - is better than any fairytale could ever describe. You are our knights in shining armor and we are so blessed.
Our moms - you guys ROCK. How amazing is it that - not only do we adore our MIL - you two do as well. Our family is so richly blessed. :)
Christine Apple - thank you for taking camera duty. Thank you for being such an amazing friend to Sandie. You totally rock! :)
Terri - thank you for playing part in our lies and deception (how horrible does that sound?!?!) and for keeping it a secret. I know it was painful and we appreciate you.
Food-bringers - THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was all fabulous and we couldn't have pulled it off without you.
Givers - thank you to all of you who contributed to bless Mom2 with money for her & Chris' Disney trip - celebrating their 50th birthday (something they've been planning for a long time). We believe you will see 100-fold return on your generous gifts.
Amy Ann - thank you for your support and for putting up with my giddiness and ridiculous stories. The invite was beautiful - just like you. I love you dearly!
Donny & Girls (Chris' husband and daughters) - thank you for allowing us to borrow your beautiful wife/mom. The weekend wouldn't have been the same without her.
Flight giver - to those, unnamed and unknown, who contributed to Chris' flight - what a blessing you have coming your way!!!!!!!!!!!
Grumps - thank you for the limo and the driver! It may have seemed a simple gesture, but it was the icing on the cake. :)
I feel like I am forgetting a host of people, but please know that we appreciate everything that was done to help this come to pass. It was PERFECT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :)
Sandie & Chris
Abbie & Me - we worked hard to earn the right to wear that sash & boa! :) :) :)
Mom2's "special" boys. Two AMAZING men of God!!!
Wow. . . I think I may have written a book!