Sunday, August 28, 2011

True love never dies

LONG POST WARNING!So. . I went to a "smallish" school.  If you were within 10 years of age, you knew each other - oftentimes better than they knew themselves.  It was a church-school and many of us went to both the church and the school.  In essence, we saw each other more in our lifetime than we saw our own families.  That said, we often fought like family, but we also loved like family.  I am often reminded of the disadvantages of such a small class size, but more often I am thankful.  For example: during my graduation ceremony, many of our teachers addressed each of us individually and my valedictorian speech mentioned every last one of my fellow graduates.  The graduation was just about as intimate as a wedding - and I LOVED it!
Anyway - the class of 2000 did not do a good job and we did not have a reunion.  Half of us live out of state - many clear across the country - and while we had the best intentions to do so. . . . we just didn't.  The class of 2001, however, has their act together. Two of them, in particular, (from out of state I might add) planned a reunion (thank you, Emily & Bonnie) and they invited ALL of Victory's alumni.  The reunion was yesterday, and it turned out beautifully.  There weren't as many as I had expected; I was totally blown away by the absence of Monica (we missed you) and Bonnie was not able to make it due to an injury (you were missed as well).  However, I was totally blessed by the ones who were there and was pleasantly surprised to see Brandie (who I hadn't seen since my 16th birthday).  I was so happy to see so many of the faces that helped to shape who I am today.  There wasn't an "adult" there who hadn't uniquely touched my life and the opportunity to hug their necks was something I am grateful for.  You see, they weren't just our teachers; many of them had been an essential part of my life outside of school.  And seeing Emily's parents (who helped a TON to put it all together) was super special as they were essentially my "second family" for most of my life. 
Thinking of all of this I realize how truly blessed I was (and am) to have lived my most formidable years with such amazing people.  Not many people remember their school years with such fondness and admiration.
One thing I do wish they had taught me. . . . . "when you take your camera to an event like this, you should stop laughing and talking long enough to get your stupid camera out and use it!!!"  :) :) :)
My husband did take this picture though . . . . .
Jenny, Emily, Laura, Jon
I am hoping others weren't as lame as I was; I'm holding out hope on facebook!!!  :)

In the end - it was perfect.  And I hope we don't wait as long next time!!!!!!

:) :) :) :) :)