Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Noticing the little things

Warning - I'm gonna brag on my husband in this post and it's pretty long. AND - I hope it helps others out at the same time. :)
We often say, "It's the little things that count", but what little things are you calculating in your mind??
I've recently been on some new medications (not for anything really serious, no worries), and these meds are WIPING ME OUT!!  Ya'll - I haven't been to the pool in close to two weeks - something about this just isn't right!!!!!
Matt & I have ALWAYS put the kids to bed, together. . . .since day one.  We both pray with each of them and tuck them in - it's just something we've come to "expect" from each other.  Sometimes, one of us will be irritated and say to the other, "are you going to help me tuck????" - really we mean "get off your butt and help me!!!!"  But - last night, Matt was over half-way through with brushing teeth and getting PJ's in place before I even realized I was still just laying on the couch. . . . wishing I had the energy to function.  He never said a word.  For those of you a bit curious - I DID get up and help. . . . but the point in this is - letting me lay down for a little longer was a "little thing". 
This morning, he was up and out the door before anyone else in the house was awake and he was the last person home this evening (PS - we missed him!!!).  Still - he came through with yet another "little thing".  We have a couch and love seat to lounge on - period.  The kids were on the couch, he was on the love seat.  In passing (honestly - no hidden agenda), I mentioned that I wanted to lay down.  That sweet man got up, snuggled between the kids and left me a perfectly welcoming love seat to lay on.
AND THEN (stay with me. . . I'm proving a point), C needed spending money for the movies at camp.  Because I was EXHAUSTED (and let's face it. . . once I get into my lounge clothes, NOTHING occurs outside of my home), I decided I'd tend to it in the morning, before I dropped him off at camp.  I was perfectly fine with this plan - it meant I could keep my ridiculously pathetic butt on this love seat AND enjoy a few more rounds of Words With Friends.  Instead - you guessed it, Matt tended to that as well.

You may be thinking "he's up to something", but the truth is - I am THE SINGLE MOST BLESSED woman in the world.  You see. . . . after being married almost a decade, we've come to really understand the value of the little things. 
But - to my point. . . . what "little things" are you noticing in your life (marriage, friends, family, etc)???  I've yet to mention the cereal bowls that are ALWAYS on the coffee table.  It's not called the "cereal table", what's up with that?!?!?! And I haven't mentioned the towel on the floor in the bathroom.  Those are "little things" too.  The important thing, however, is that about 80% of this post was about the positive, uplifting acts of general kindness and consideration that my amazing husband has shown towards me.
So I ask, "What little things are you noticing in your relationships"?  I encourage you to focus on the positive things in life that bring a smile to your face. . . . when you do that, it's REALLY hard for the negative things to get you down.  The same is true in my relationship with my Heavenly Father - when I think about ALL that He has blessed me with - what He has done for me and through me - it's impossible to allow "life" to hit me as hard as it could if I weren't in the right mindset.  What things are you concentrating on?  Philippians 4:8 - Read it, live it!!
PS - the towel is still on the bathroom floor. . . but so are the kids' clothes from their shower and my curling iron.  We're a disaster people. . . . but we're a happy disaster! :) :) :) :) :)