I've been thinking about my grandmas a lot lately, for various reasons. Today, I pulled a "Bobbie Vines" and decided I'd go ahead and write about what's on my mind.
Because I have a super abundance of parents, I've been blessed with even more grandparents! I won't mention them all in this post, but do want to pay tribute to three of my grandmas. I do so because I believe they helped to make me who I am, and give me inspiration to be more of who I want to be.
I want to be like my Grandma Rhoades; I want to show so much love in such a little amount of time that those I love never, EVER, question their worth in this world. This beautiful woman kept EVERYTHING. She was a more clean hoarder than you see on TV though, and she taught me the worth of reusing what is on hand and to make the most of what was in the pantry to make a delicious meal (Mom2 loves to brag on me about this).
I want to be like my Grandma Page (aka Great); I want to love & serve with everything in me - so much so that when I'm gone, my loved ones miss my servant's heart and genuine love every single day of their lives, the way I miss her daily. She could feed an army (did so at least once/year for the annual fly-in) as if it were "no big thang"; I like to think that's where I get my love for hosting and hospitality.
I want to be like my Grandma Vines (aka Grammar); I want to be known for my honesty (although it was sometimes brutal) - I want people to know that what I say is true because I never say what I don't mean. I want to be able to fix or create ANYTHING that I dream up in my mind, whether it requires a sewing machine, hammer, electrical tape or duct tape!
Today, I'd like to believe all three of them are smiling down on me. I recently had the opportunity to house a family member in need and I LOVED it! I got to cook for an army and show hospitality just like his momma (Great) would've.
And--Grandma Rhoades & Grammar both did a happy dance this week as I've been cleaning up the house and such. You see - I have a bit of that "keep EVERYTHING" in me - I fight it a LOT, but this week I have been cleaning up and cleaning out. In the process, I located a corner that kinda became a hiding place for everything that didn't have a home - including the sewing machine and the bag of stuff to go with it. The sewing machine was covered in dust and the threads were all intertwined - it was pathetic, I'm almost ashamed to share. So - off I go to add "sewing box" and "machine cover" to my list. As I was doing so, I channeled my grandmas, I guess, cause I immediately crossed them off my list. I pulled out an old tool box that didn't have much of a purpose, and I made it my sewing box. Then, I dusted off the sewing machine, pulled out some fabric that I'd been hoarding, and made a sewing machine cover. This, my friends, is what I call "pulling a Bobbie Vines". That woman could make or fix anything and with scissors in hand, I cut out the fabric - just eyeballing it - and made that bad boy! Now, to be honest, Grammar would've known better than to pick the jersey knit because it's a pain in the butt to deal with, but I still think she'd be awfully proud! Yes, it'll still collect dust like the sewing machine did, but at least it's machine washable!!! :)
I hope you have such fond memories and joy when you think of certain people in your life; I have been abundantly blessed to have such amazing women in my life. Words can't express how badly I miss them, but I pray that others see just an ounce of each of them in me. I know I'm a better person for having known and loved them all!
What are you most thankful for as you enter the New Year?

:') thank you for this.
ReplyDelete