I shared my concerns with a few close people, explaining that I must be depressed or SOMETHING! Something is wrong with me!!! Then last week, while waiting in the line at school to pick up the kids, it dawned on me. For at least 6 months, I haven't had a moment where I wasn't needed by someone or something. At home, someone is always calling my name; at work, I can't even go to the bathroom without panic striking because "Laura isn't here!!!!". When I do have downtime, there's a game on my phone that beckons my attention. Even my showers lately have been occupied by thoughts of the things that need to be purchased (i.e. shower curtain, etc).
Come to find out, this extrovert DID need company, she did need to visit. . . with ME! Imagine that! Alone time. I didn't recognize the problem, because I didn't even know what alone time was anymore. One would think that after being a mom for almost 11 years that I would understand the importance of this, but no.
So, my amazing husband adjusted his schedule last Monday so he could take the kids to school, and I took a vacation day. A REAL one - that wasn't because the kids were out of school or because someone needed to be at the house awaiting a service man or delivery or something. I removed email from my phone and planned to block all calls except Matt's or the kids' school (although I did I scheduled a day with no agenda (besides picking up the kids - they don't like the idea of spending the night at school, so I'm told). I'd love to tell you that I stayed inside my home where it was nice and quiet, but that would be a lie. I was gone for most of the day, but I did what I wanted when I wanted - all day.
At this point, I'd also like to tell you that it solved all of the world's problems or at least my own, but that, too, would be a lie. However, it was a positive move in the direction of getting my grip back on life.
So, today, two days after I usually post, I am writing to tell you this. . .
Don't neglect you. You are one of the most valuable things you have to offer anyone, and without taking time to replenish you, it'll be impossible to do all that you've been called to do. Whether you're a parent, spouse, friend, daughter, employee, or a combination of all of the above (plus many more). . . take time to focus on you, even if only for a day.
This week, I'm extremely grateful for those in my life who support me. From my husband to my family and friends and my boss and colleagues. Who do you have in your life that supports you? Who lifts you up when you feel like disappearing into the ground?
Comment below or join me and link-up with Ember Grey to share!