I love to write, but poetry is NOT my forte. Therefore, I apologize for the misrepresentation that I was actually going to write an ode, but I needed a title that didn't sound gloomy or weirdly happy.
Sunday, March 1, 2015, my husband's grandpa, Armond Johnson, moved on to Heaven. This was the man to whom I was "granddaughter" from the first time I met him (even when Matt & I were still dating), the man to whom I attribute so much of who my husband is - kind, gentle, loving, fair and determined - to, the man who thought our children were the best things since sliced bread (and they kinda are), the man who could have totally been Kenny Rogers' stunt double earlier in his life, to the man who sparked a passion for archery in our little man (to whom his science fair project is dedicated), to the man who was so many things to so many people - especially my precious mother-in-law.
His passing was rather sudden; with just days to wrap our minds around what was happening (which, we are still trying to do). If we'd only known, we probably would've taken more pictures the last time we were at his house (just a little over a month ago). Instead, we visited and talked about everything, and nothing. I don't regret that - not one single bit. Still, we have vowed to take more pictures - of more than just our kids or our adventures of the moment. Death - losing someone so precious to you - causes you to evaluate so much, and this is definitely an area we want to improve on. But isn't that how it always goes? If only. . . we would've. . .
In the end, however, I can only pray that I leave behind such a legacy. I looked around the room on Sunday, at tear-filled eyes, surrounding the man we all loved, thinking "I want to love at least as much as he did" and feeling so very blessed to be a part of his legacy.
I've had a hard time finishing this post this week, but today I knew I could. Today, the kids were on their phone (fake), talking to him. He told them he'd been fishing and hunting since he got there (Heaven) and they were so happy for him. These are the moments that take my breath away, that cause me to ache from sorrow, and at the same time - cause me to feel overwhelmed by the Peace of our Heavenly Father who is our Comforter. He will be greatly missed. So, greatly missed.


