Thursday, February 3, 2011

30-day Shred

On Sunday, I started Jillian Michael's 30-day shred.  Before I go any further, I am under no ridiculous belief that it will only take 30 days to shred this cheese, but a girl must start somewhere.  If you've been looking for something that is fun and quick (only 20 minutes - I do this during Matt's morning hiatus in the shower. . . he finally admitted to me that he rests his head on the shower wall and naps while he's in there). . .  anyway. . . . this is it!  I LOVE it. 
Now, let me explain the word "love" under these circumstances. 
  • I love that it's working muscles that I haven't been able to reach since they were SEVERED BY A SCALPEL two different times in an effort to bring forth these crazed monkeys (see Snow Days).
  • I love (again) that I can accomplish this before the kids are up and just prior to a shower.
  • I love that I've actually stuck with it (minus one day - removed snow from the driveway instead).
This love does not mean that I was excited about:
  • Almost catapulting down the stairs just after class when I discovered that while it didn't hurt much to go UP the 4 flights of stairs, coming down was excruciating!!!
  • Almost broke my office chair AND the toilet seat because there is no such thing as sitting "gracefully".  I'm reminded of Toy Story (yes, second TS reference of the day) when Woody says, "That isn't flying, that's falling with style".  That's me. . . . falling onto the chair, the toilet, the floor. . . with style!
  • Walking all day Monday & Tuesday without the ability to stand up straight and the illusion that there MUST be something stuck where the sun doesn't shine because there was OBVIOUSLY something wrong with me.
BUT - I stuck with it.  I only did half of it on Monday & Tuesday, but by the end of Tuesday, I was feeling back to normal!!!

Here's the kicker. . . . . you have to recruit your kids.  I spent 30 minutes WATCHING them do "the shred" and laughed so hard (on the inside, of course. . . what am I?? A bad mom?!?!?!) at the sight of P attempting jumping jacks (so closely resembles a standing seizure episode) and C doing bicycle crunches--I'm relatively sure if he had kept it up, he would've given himself a bloody nose. 

And now that I've shared all of this, it's time to put the crazed monkeys in their cages for the evening and get my shred on! 

Thankfully I ate all of the cookies, so I won't be tempted by them any longer!!!!