Monday, April 21, 2014

Aldi Love

I have flip-flopped on whether or not to make this post, but have decided that you'll either appreciate it or you won't - and that's okay.  If nothing else, you'll wind up with a couple meal ideas. :)

First you have to understand that my Uncle Forrest is the cheapest most frugal person on the planet (which would also explain why his portfolio is redonkulous) and he's known for buying the cheapest food you can find - and sometimes that doesn't taste so good.  SO - when he told me about Aldi about 4 years ago, I politely took his samples (and enjoyed them) but didn't actually go shopping there.  For one thing, I don't have a decent one nearby, secondly, I don't like having to go to multiple grocery stores (and Aldi doesn't have everything).  However, about 2 years ago, after being told about it (again) by a friend, I gave it a try.  I instantly fell in love.  I can honestly say that besides the sandwich meat (which I'm quite picky about to begin with), I haven't purchased anything at Aldi that I didn't just LOVE.  PLUS - if you're like me and use a lot of canned items (feeding good food to a family doesn't have to take hours, just FYI), you'll appreciate the low prices and good taste of their canned items.  If you want to find a local Aldi near you or seek out "First Timer Tips", visit their website.  

Here are just a few of my favorite items:
(Disclaimer: I have a fear of running out of food. There are root issues for this, but I can honestly say this issue has served me well - we've never run out of food as as my mother-in-law will tell you, with cans of anything, I can feed this family for weeks!  She says I can make a killer vegetable soup with a rock and water - she's too kind, but I appreciate the fame she spreads on my behalf!)

By far the best - and at about $.79/can, the price can't be beat!
 Majority of the canned food shown is about $.60/can (smaller can) and about $1.00 for the larger.






I also LOVE the vegetable broth, but because I use it most, I was out of it and couldn't get a picture. 
And if you're wondering "what would you do with this stuff?!?!?", here are a few ideas for some of these things:

Black & White Chili - hands down one of my favorite recipes.  It's ridiculously simple - and this stuff is amazing over a baked potato.  Amen!

Two-Bean Burger - another of my faves from ultimatedanielfast.com  There's something about the combo of white & black beans. 

White Chicken Chili - okay folks, I have a problem.  But that's okay. 

Sombrero Pasta Salad - can't find the link, but it's really easy (and adaptable for food allergens/preferences):
Pasta (spiral, penne, bowtie, whatever you heart desires) - Aldi has this too!
Black beans (drained & rinsed)
Ground beef (turkey, chicken, pork, or none at all)
Taco seasoning
1 cup shredded cheddar (also really good without cheese)
Green chiles
Sliced olives
Can of Corn (drained)
If you're feeling generous, you can add artichoke hearts as well!

Or a revision of that that I made last night using what I had on hand (see pics above).  Matt laughingly called it "Poor Boy's Chili" - I don't know what his issue is - it was delicious!  LOL But it was also SIMPLE, and did I mention delicious!?!?

Poor Boy's Chili 

(I hate this name, so aka "Laura didn't make it to the grocery store today")

Needed (feel free to sub ingredients - I do it all the time):

1 can of corn
1 lb ground beef
Taco Seasoning
1 can of green beans
1 can of black beans (drained & rinsed)
1 can of diced tomatoes with green chiles (some people call this Rotel ;) )
1 can of green chiles (because life is better with green chiles added)

Crackers (this is where the poor boy came in - normally I would've topped this mixture with cornbread and baked it, but with it being Easter, all of my eggs were hard-boiled, so that's how it became "chili with crackers on the side".  Being adaptable in the kitchen is the secret to happiness.  Truth.)

Directions:

I used an iron skillet so the corn would brown better, but you could use any form of stove-top tool. :)

1. Saute corn until it starts to brown.  It will smell like popcorn at first, then the house will smell like Grandma's cornbread.  You will tear us, wish she was here - she would've been smart enough to not boil ALL of the eggs - and then you get back to cooking.  Grandma never was one for lolly-gagging.
Set aside (in the serving bowl is fine - you're gonna use it in a sec anyway)

2. Brown the hamburger meat.  Drain (and rinse if you're like me and need to do that extra step for good measure).

3. Add taco seasoning per instructions

4. Add the corn back to the pan, along with the green beans, black beans, diced tomatoes & green chiles (everything except the crackers and kitchen sink).  Keep on the burner long enough to warm it.  

Eat it.  Eat it with genuine excitement to be eating "Poor Boy's Chili".  And don't forget to put some on a cracker or 10.  

And there you go - a look into the insanity of our home.  Don't you feel a little less crazy? :)