Merriam-Webster Dictionary provides the following definitions:
GRACE: (n)
*a controlled, polite, and pleasant way of behaving
MERCY: (n)
*kind or forgiving treatment of someone who could be treated harshly
*kindness or help given to people who are in a very bad or desperate situation
FORGIVE: (v)
*to stop feeling anger toward (someone who has done something wrong); to stop blaming (someone)
*to stop feeling anger about (something); to forgive someone for (something wrong)
*to give up resentment of or claim to requital for (forgive an insult)
*to cease to feel resentment against (an offender)
However, God's idea of these things is much more impressive:
- Grace: Getting what you don't deserve, or unmerited favor
- Mercy: Not getting what you do deserve, or withheld punishment
- Forgiveness: When we ask for forgiveness, when we repent, He casts our sins as far as the East is from the West.
How amazing is our God?!?! His grace provides unmerited favor - when we don't even deserve it - and His mercy keeps us from being struck down every other second. Not to mention His mercies are new every morning!
So - what does all of this have to do with a plant?!?!? Last year I acquired a plant that was essentially dead. I was supposed to use the dirt and pot to plant something new. Instead, I felt intrigued by the dead plant and decided to water it, prune the dead leaves, give it plenty of light and attention, and see what happens (I only regret that I didn't take a picture of it).
I won't give many details about where the plant came from, but I can tell you that (as with just about any human who makes mistakes), the person associated with it deserved no grace, no mercy, no forgiveness. This person turned the lives of so many people upside down, cost people jobs and destroyed a few relationships along the way.
However, not long after the dust began to settle, I was discussing the situation (with quite a bit of anger and resentment) and, in an attempt to make me laugh, was told "Laura, that's not very Christ-like of you to not forgive". We did laugh, it was a nice relief from the tension of the conversation, but it obviously struck a chord with me. Not long after that, I was DETERMINED to make that plant live.
About 2 months ago, I noticed some green growth at the top. I continued to water, prune old pieces, move to better lighting. . . give it the attention it so desperately needed. Just this week, it has taken off with such vigor!
It not only has tons of green leaf growth, it even has new roots sprouting.
In the end, what am I getting at? This plant not only reminds me of how loving and kind and generous and mighty our God is, it also reminds me that we should extend the same grace, mercy & forgiveness to those who have done us wrong. Do I trust the person I referred to above? I must be honest and say "No, not at all", unfortunately. Do I forgive them for the unbelievable amount of stress and anxiety that they caused me and those I care about? Yes, I do. Because who am I to withhold what God has so graciously and generously given to me? After all, He's given us all the opportunity to be pruned and loved on and cared for and most of all, given new life and stronger roots.