Saturday, April 5, 2014

Home is where the heart is

Such a cliché, "Home is where the heart is", yet oh so very true.  When we moved in to this rental house, it was "just temporary".  We recently hit the 3-year-anniversary.  I'm pretty sure that we weren't in any of our other homes for that long.  So, considering the fact that I love this tiny cracker box of a home despite the fact that it's the size of a hall closet, and it is, in fact, where my heart is, I decided it was time to lay down roots.  Literally. 

I've wanted Jasmine in my front yard, preferably next to my front door (like Matt's Grandpa had), for as long as I can remember.  I kept saying "when I get a more permanent home", but after acknowledging that this was as permanent a home as we've had since we got married, it is silly to keep saying that.  Live for today, right?!??!

Well, this beauty was purchased AND planted in the same 2-hour period.  For those of you who don't believe in miracles, this was just for you!

Of course, nothing happens around here without battle scars.  I couldn't just plant one thing; I had to redo the hanging baskets, finish prepping the garden, and replant an indoor plant.  Somewhere along the way, I did this. . .
Ignore the stack of library books in the background.  Visual proof that the kids & I are addicted to library books. HA!
No idea how it happened.  Seriously.  6 hours later, my arm is still stinging and is covered in welts.  But - I have Jasmine in my yard!!! Not far from the most hardy, easiest, most fragrant rose bush ever. 

Now, the OTHER side of the porch is an entirely different story.  Anyone have the strong urge to dig up holly bushes?  Am I the only one who thinks things are good ideas until you're too far in to stop - but can't quite finish either?