A couple days later, I was reminded of this random moment in our lives and then struck with the most severe amount of guilt.
She listens to everything. . . . . . the thought overwhelmed me.
She listens to everything. . . . . . the thought overwhelmed me.
She listens when I put myself down, because my self-image is an absolute wreck.
She listens when I compare myself to others in my life - and even those who I'll never know personally.
She listens when I cry and complain, as I put on the fifth outfit and still feel like a disgusting mess.
And then - she listens when people tell her how beautiful she is, and then follow it up with "you look just like your mommy".
She is stunning - she's beautiful both inside and out. She's funny and caring and a friend to everyone. She is compassionate and loyal. . . . She is an awful lot like her mommy.
And so, on that day of my recollection, I died a little inside. Turns out, I could write an entire manual on how to destroy your daughter's self-esteem. *stomach churning*
I'm pretty sure I edify her (and her brother) 100 times a day, but because she's told me countless times that "I want to be a mommy like you" (meaning - she wants to be like me when she grows up), what she REALLY hears me saying is that "SHE'LL never be good enough" or "SHE'LL be a disgusting mess" even if I'd never, EVER, actually say those words (because there isn't a drop of truth in them).
This is the precious child who is constantly complimenting me - whether it be about a meal, a song I'm singing, an outfit, earrings she hasn't seen in a while. . . . then she hears me cutting myself down as if to say "HER words mean nothing to me". Guys - I was overwhelmed. I'm still overwhelmed.
I'm pretty sure I edify her (and her brother) 100 times a day, but because she's told me countless times that "I want to be a mommy like you" (meaning - she wants to be like me when she grows up), what she REALLY hears me saying is that "SHE'LL never be good enough" or "SHE'LL be a disgusting mess" even if I'd never, EVER, actually say those words (because there isn't a drop of truth in them).
This is the precious child who is constantly complimenting me - whether it be about a meal, a song I'm singing, an outfit, earrings she hasn't seen in a while. . . . then she hears me cutting myself down as if to say "HER words mean nothing to me". Guys - I was overwhelmed. I'm still overwhelmed.
